THE DEMOCRACY DILEMMA
Social media, DISINFORMATION & election integrity
Thursday, October 29th
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM EST
Can we count on big tech to protect our democracy? From digital voter suppression to disinformation campaigns, what can we do to call on major tech platforms to protect the integrity of our election before it’s too late?
Experts weigh in with recommendations on why a business-as-usual approach from big tech will be devastating to our democracy and what we can do to hold them accountable before election day and beyond.
NYU Vice Provost & Professor of Media, Culture, and Communication
Reporter & Writer, The Guardian
Founder & Lead Strategist, Stop Online Violence Against Women (SOVAW), Stop Digital Voter Suppression Project
VP of Campaigns, Common Cause
Director of The Social Dilemma
Support our partner campaigns:
- Tell Facebook to #DoYourJob – Call on Facebook to do their job in ensuring their platform is not used to undermine elections or incite violence following Election Day.
- Join the Election Protection Coalition – Ensure every eligible Democrat, Republican or Independent voter can cast a ballot this year. Join Common Cause’s Election Protection Coalition as an in-person or virtual volunteer!
- Stop Digital Voter Suppression – Join the grassroots movement to stop digital voter suppression by reporting your encounters with voter suppression online.
Get resources to protect our democracy:
- Help report disinformation – Share with your network proactive, pro-voter information that can help stop disinformation.
- Get voting help – Any voter can visit 866OurVote.org or call 866-OUR-VOTE to speak with a trained volunteer to answer any questions.
- Counter Disinfo with the Disinfo Defense Toolkit – Curated by ReFrame and PEN America for the Disinfo Defense League, this toolkit arms media makers with narratives to help inoculate against disinformation.
- Learn more – Amplify the expertise of researchers committed to making technology work in the public interest at the Center for Critical Race & Digital Studies, NYU Alliance for Public Interest Technology, the Public Interest Technology University Network.
EXPERIENCE THE FILM
The new Netflix documentary, The Social Dilemma, offers us a glimpse into how a small number of designers in Silicon Valley are quietly reprogramming civilization.